AARC Anchorage Timeline

Originally, this page was going to document just the FCC Monitoring Station. When we started going down the rabbit hole, the FCC monitoring started during World War II at the brand new Elmendorf AFB. The international airport was constructed. During the Cold War, less than two miles to the West was a Nike Missile Battalion and on Elmendorf AFB was one of the largest radio monitoring stations in the world.

This page is now a timeline that covers anything vaguely related to the Anchorage Amateur Radio Club (AARC) in Anchorage, not counting the other AARCs.


In 1935, when the Federal Communications Commission began to supervise radio broadcasting, Alaska’s broadcast radio stations were limited to KFQD, Anchorage, and KGBU, Ketchikan.

1939 – 1941

In the spring of 1939 President Roosevelt withdrew 50,000 acres between Anchorage and the Chugach Mountains from civilian settlement. This land was allocated for military bases.

Dunkle’s Ditch – By September 1939, the path between Lake Hood and Lake Spenard had been cleared. The Alaska Road Commission began construction on the canal itself in the first week of November 1939.

1940, April

On April 28, 1940, John Walatka (1909-1970) flew in from Bristol Bay and made what is believed to have been the first landing at the canal.

Between 1940–1947, the FCC’s Radio Intelligence Division (RID) (named on June 1, 1940) monitored clandestine radio transmissions in the United States. The RID was the FCC’s “largest single activity” during the war years and helped military and government agencies locate the Axis enemy.

1941, June

The Elmendorf north/south runway construction was completed on June, 1941.

1941, December 7

The military radio intelligence operations of RID in Alaska began in December 7, 1941, with a request from the Commanding Officer of the Air Force Base at Ladd Field, Fairbanks, that the FCC will supply radio direction finder bearings on any Japanese station heard. Those stations consisted of a primary station at the University of Alaska, and secondaries at Anchorage and Juneau.


The invasion of the Aleutians in June 1942 resulted in our being called on to do even more military radio intelligence work. At a conference in early June 1942, between the RID Supervisor for the Alaskan area, and Lt. Col. Castner, Assistant Chief of Staff, G-2, of the Alaskan Command, the urgent need was stressed for all the Radio Intelligence assistance RID could give in furnishing bearings, intercepting flash messages relating to movement of enemy craft and making intercepts of regular traffic, especially that in connection with Japanese operations in the Aleutians. Accordingly, RID shipped two additional Adcock direction finders by air transport to Alaska. One Adcock DF was in operation at Fairbanks.

One of the Adcocks was set up at our secondary monitoring station at Anchorage where the Headquarters of the Alaskan Defense Command was located. With the aid of a force of 30 men furnished by Fort Richardson, the job was done in three weeks. For the other, a site as far west as possible was chosen, partly in order to ensure steady reception of transmissions from Japanese stations in the Aleutians and partly to furnish as wide a base-line as possible for the taking of bearings. Nome was chosen as the site.

An Adcock DF was set up in 1942 at the secondary monitoring station at Anchorage.

We suspect that the original monitoring station was located on Elmendorf AFB. Raspberry Road might have not existed in 1942, and it was far out of town. Normally, if you want information about a building, you go to the real property department of the city. This property was controlled by the federal government. As far as city paperwork was concerned, this building and property was none of their business.


The Anchorage Amateur Radio Club, KL7AA was organized in 1947.

There is a discrepancy in information about the starting date for AARC. The “history” published on the Web states that it was formed in 1947 with 12 members. The July 1981 newsletter mentions that two old-timers who helped form the club in 1943 were invited to the meeting; Howard
Burkher, KL7DQ, and Jasper Heath, KL7MD. And later newsletters state that it was formed in 1950 –“after the war” because radio traffic was outlawed during the war.

Meetings generally lasted from 7:00 PM to between 9:30 and 10:00 PM
There was a “business” meeting the first Friday of the month – and a “social” meeting during the third week. If you look at the events and other undertakings, these were busy people.


The international airport site was selected well away from the population center, yet adjacent to the Lake Hood float plane area. An existing road lead from Anchorage to Lake Hood, thereby only requiring improvements. The money was appropriated in 1948 and in the spring of 1949 construction on the $12 million project began. The international airport was completed and opened for business in January 1952.


FCC Annual report 1958

FCC Monitoring Secondary stations do not have sufficient staff for continuous operation.

Two instances of interference to “Nike” installations on the West coast were due to vessels entering port and forgetting to turn off their radar installations. In the other case the military post received interference from a nearby TV station because of insufficient shielding in the intermediate frequency sections of the “Nike” receivers.


January 3, 1959 – Alaska admitted to the Union

Nike-Hercules Missile Battalion

On 10 April 1959,  the 1st Battalion, 43rd Air Defense Artillery started operations at “A Battery” at site Point which was on the Point Campbell military reservation just southwest of Anchorage International Airport. The facility had 16 launchers and 28 missiles.


We think that the original square Ops building was built in the early 60’s.

1963 Federal Communications Commission Report

The FCC creates an annual report. The only one that appears online is the 29th report from 1963.

The network of radio monitoring and direction-finding stations operated by the FCC consists of 10 primary and 8 secondary stations throughout the Nation, including 2 in Alaska (Anchorage and Fairbanks) and 1 in Hawaii.

Of greatest interest and future promise concerning the FCC monitoring network is the shift to modern wide-aperture direction finders which, it is believed, will eventually replace the Adcock type which has been in use since pre-World War II days.

Page 142 – Network Intercommunication

The FCC monitoring and direction-finding network requires instant, effective intercommunication for coordination and direction from field engineering headquarters in Washington. Twelve of the eighteen monitoring stations and monitoring control are now served by leased landline teletype with FCC radioteletype and Morse radiotelegraph used only as a backup. The remaining six stations, including
those in Alaska and Hawaii, maintain continuous network contact by means of radio facilities.

One example of assistance given by the FCC direction finding facilities: “A search aircraft using bearings furnished by the Alaskan monitoring stations found a bush pilot who had been forced down in the Alaskan wilds.”

There is a Field Engineering District Office at the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Building, Anchorage.


FCC Annual report 1965

Steps were taken to combine the Fairbanks and Anchorage monitoring stations in order to render 24-hour service and increase radio law enforcement effort in Alaska.

FCC installations in Alaska are integrated into the network by radioteletype circuits to the radio net control station at Grand Island, Nebraska.

The Fairbanks, Alaska, monitoring station was closed and most of its facilities transferred to the Anchorage monitoring station where facilities are being upgraded and operations consolidated in the interest of efficiency and economy. Equipment not needed at other stations, and the 90 acres of the Fairbanks station, were declared to GSA for disposal.


FLR-9 Wullenweber array at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska, USA, completed in 1966.

US Air Force public affairs – Air Force ISR Agency
AN/FLR-9 Circularly Disposed Antenna Array or Wullenweber antenna (popularly referred to as an “Elephant Cage”) at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska. It is used for radio direction finding.



By: Liz Tvrdy
In February 1962, Jimmie Tvrdy, Ken Koestler and Sarge Robinson hit upon the idea of constructing a board to show spectators at the Fur Rendezvous the progress of the dogs and racers as they raced from and to Fourth Avenue over a 25 mile track. About ten amateur radio operators were stationed along the trail and AM was used to relay the dog team positions. The board consisted of two sheets of plywood, measuring 8’x8′ on which the trail had been drawn.

This year, February 1972, ten years later, the club had two men at the board (*two of the above three, Jimmie Tvrdy and Ken Koestler) and a grand total of twenty three checkpoints. Snow machines were used on the back trail. FM, Handy Talkies and a repeater were used to transmit the position of the racers as they passed the check points. The board has grown in size to 8’x16′ and has been raised from the ground and placed on a flatbed trailer and had been given a new coat of paint with the addition of some pictures in keeping with the dog racing.

Communications were much improved by the use of the FM repeater with many more checkpoints and hard-working volunteers. This year we even furnished the downtown P.A. system for the dog sled races – donated through the courtesy of Yukon Radio Supply.

Next year we propose to sell advertising to be placed on the front and back sides of our “new” 18’x16′ board; thus revitalizing our now depleted treasury.
*editor’s note.
(In 1962 Jimmie Tvrdy was President; Ken Koestler was Activities Manager & Sarge Robinson was chairman of this activity. In 1972 Ken Koestler is President; Jimmie Tvrdy, Vice Pres & Sarge Robinson has retired)

The 3rd Annual Walk for Hope – May 6, 1972 maybe first time. Hope Cottage, Inc. has requested radio communications on that day at their checkpoints. As a club we are requesting volunteers for this project.

Report: PUBLIC SERVICE – By: W6PVF Wilse Morgan

I had an excellent chance to use our repeater system for public service on the 7th of May, 1972. On the way to the Bunny River QTH I saw a spectacular accident out by Huffman Road on the Seward Highway. I put out a Mayday call and KL7HFM picked it up right at the repeater location, KL7USA. He had the state traffic officer and firetruck there before I could hang up the mike.


On Monday the 5th, I was privileged to make one. of the first contacts through our new Anchorage-Fairbanks repeater link. My thanks go out to Fred, KL7HFM and Tom, KL7GNG for all-the many hours of work they have put into our new system.

Last week I was TDY up to Indian Mt, which is northwest of Fairbanks on the Arctic Circle. I called Tom at Pedro Dome and he patched me into both repeater systems and it worked very well. This shows the versatility of our new system in case an emergency of some sort should arise.

From the June issue of “73” magazine – page 11:

Alaska is a rare state for most people, not just Novices. In fact there are only about 1,200 hams in Alaska, which is about 0.4% of the total number of hams in the entire U.S. Although it looks hopeless for the Novice to find an Alaskan ham, much less an Alaskan Novice ham, there is a way. On most week nights at about 0700 GMT, there is a Novice Net that is based in Alaska on 21.225 Mhz.

Active stations on the net include WL7HHO, WL7HET, and WL7HJR.


AARC February 25, 1973 Page 1

From Checkpoint #1 comes the following-report:

By Beth Clark

A report from Checkpoint #1 at the Fur Rendezvous, Friday, February 16, 1973. I really do believe Checkpoint #1 at 4th and Cordova is the most exciting point on the first day of the race. Actually this year, before the first day (Friday) was over, check point #9 (Tudor Road Crossing) as the more exciting, but more about that later.

Many of those teams just don’t seem all that anxious to run, especially the first day so when they make the turn at 4th and Cordova they start looking for a way out. They turn up alleys and wrong streets. This year one team made the turn onto Cordova, then turned toward town onto 5th, back across Cordova, dove on 5th heading out of town, back onto Cordova to 6th, toward town on 6th back across Cordova heading out of town, back onto Cordova to 7th, turned around (somehow) and headed back really running now, to 4th. A handler tried to help by stopping the team and got all tangled up with dogs ail over him. Finally the team turned back in the right direction on Cordova to 6th, then turned toward town on 6th back to Cordova to 9th and back on Cordova headed for 4th, turned back at 4th and on the way again. By this time another team slightly tangled with it, but both teams running. I thought O.K. Next thing I knew here came our renegade team through Checkpoint #1 again. It obviously had left Cordova, probably about 6th street, headed for town and made a complete circle. I really don’t know where it got back onto 4th street for I was really surprised when I realized it was the same team coming through Checkpoint #1 again. I guess that team decided the only way they were going to get back to the finish line was to make the complete circuit.

Several of the teams leave the trail at 6th, 5th and 9th streets the first day, but seems to have the idea by the second and third days. I really believe the movie cameras for TV should pay more attention to Checkpoint #1 on the first day if they want to catch all the excitement.

Now, back to the excitement at Tudor Road crossing, Checkpoint #9, KL7HEK Art. His vehicle was his cabover van. Early in the day he found he wasn’t getting enough heat to his heater mounted back midway in the van, so he lifted the cover over the motor and propped it open a-ways to let in motor heat. He had a gasket gone in the motor, which let a lot of fumes escape right into where Art was sitting. Looking back now, many of us, including Art, can see where he hadn’t been acting right, nor responding right. He finally had been, clear out, for some time, but came to, to realize I was checking teams back through at 4th and Cordova that he hadn’t seen. He asked me how come. By then I was sure something was wrong, so I told him to secure his station and go home. He tried to, but killed his motor and didn’t have enough strength to start it again, only had enough strength to hit the mike button to say “Beth I NEED HELP”, and faded out. KL7HIU, Bob, at the police station heard him, and realizing something was radically wrong, immediately dispatched an ambulance. From then on things happened fast and very efficiently. KL7HAC, Charlie, at home monitoring, left at once, and got to Art ahead of the ambulance. Also, KL7GNW, WA0HVA, WA9HJZ and many others responded, helped get Art out of the van and into the ambulance and eventually got the van home for us. If KL7HIU hadn’t been on the ball and all of those others hadn’t acted so fast Art would be dead today. from Carbon-Monoxide poisoning. The doctors said Art’s size had saved his life and even then two more minutes would have pulled the final curtain down. Art gave the nurses and doctors a bad time for a good while, but is home, fat, sassy and lazy as ever now. He says he owes his life now to his fat, so now has one more argument against losing any weight, HI!! Art and I both want to take this opportunity to thank all of those who helped so freely and efficiently in saving Art’s life last Friday. WA0HVZ stayed right there at the hospital Friday night with Art and me until nearly 7 p.m.

Thank you all!! Aren’t Hams Wonderful!!

KL7HEJ, Beth Clark


Fur Rondy Dog Races

Regular Business Meeting: Friday, January 7, 1977 Basement of Library, 5th and F St. 7 PM

We have received word from the various police agencies in town that they are getting an excessive number of non-emergency calls on the 911 number. Use the 911 system ONLY if there are persons injured in an accident, or a building is actually in flames, or someone is in immediate danger of real disaster! Otherwise, use the 7 digit number available for routine calls, such as defective traffic lights, stalled cars, non injury accidents, drunks, vandals and the like. Also, identify yourself immediately as an AMATEUR radio operator when calling or the autopatch, as the dispatchers get so many bad calls from CB operators they are starting to hang up on them!! We have started an education program to let the dispatchers know about amateur radio, and our autopatch power. Here, in one way at least, is a good chance to score some points for our side. The first things the operator wants to know when you do need to make a 911 call are the LOCATION, TYPE OF PROBLEM, and HOW MANY INJURED ( or WHAT IS ON FIRE) she will then switch you to the appropriate DISPATCHER, and have you repeat the information. ALSO, if the problem is important enough to warrant a 911 call, STAY AT THE SCENE while giving the data to the dispatcher, as she may need further observations. If you’re going to get involved in this type of public welfare traffic, do the job properly, not like a CB’er.

General Meeting: Friday, February 4, 1977 Basement Loussac Library 5th and F 7:00 PM

Social Meeting: To be Announced at General Meeting

Transmitter Hunt: Sunday 6 February 1:00 PM meet on 34/94, hunt on 52 simplex meeting place to be announced later

The Big news for the month of February is the annual Fur Rendezvous dog races, which we will be assisting again this year. Several stations are still needed to cover checkpoints, and the business meeting will deal mainly with the preparations for this event. Bill Reiter. KL7ITI will be the chairman for the event this year. If you will be able to help, or wish to reserve a particular checkpoint, do call Bill as soon as possible. Wilse, KL7CQ will be heading up the teletype system. Never done a race? – – – attend the general meeting and find out what is going on.

General Meeting: Friday, April 1, 7:00 PM Basement Loussac Library 5th an d F Streets

Social Meeting: Friday, April 22, 7:00 P11 924 Muldoon Rd. ( Next to Pizza Hut ) Peking Restaurant

Transmitter Hunt: Sunday, 17 April, 1:00 PM check in 34/94 – – Hunt on 52 simplex
Start from anywhere in town, but you must check in with NCS

The big news this month is the giant donation of used Collins and Drake equipment to the club, said to be in excess of 300 items. This donation was made to the group by Lirpa 1 communications, who we cannot thank enough. The board has decided to give the gear to the members free of charge, except for the usual signed statement that it will not be resold or returned to commercial service ( it had been in use by an oil exploration company for HF backup equipment). We understand that most of the equipment is in working order but some
minor repairs may be required. You don’t want to miss out on this deal, be sure and attend the meeting!! WARNING the gear was retuned for commercial frequencies – be sure-to check tuning before using on the ham bands, or you could get a pink ticket!

The Walk For Hope will be coming up soon, and the director of Hope Cottage has asked the club for communications support. This is a tremendous chance to get Amateur radio before a few hundred citizens, most of who have been exposed to the CB blitz, but who are not very familiar with what we do and the advantages we have. Stations will be needed to help at checkpoints, to assist in transport buses, and the like. You do not have to drive a bus (takes tired out walkers to the finish line ) but think of the effect of having your passengers
listen to the well disciplined, static and interference free, (and Autopatch) operation that will be going on. Ham radio sells itself if given the slightest chance! Ruthe Burg and Wilse Morgan are the people to contact if you are interested in assisting. It is a giant happening, and must be seen to be believed. Wilse has been sponsored by the club, and will looking for additional sponsors. One-good way to dangle the carrot is to sponsor your man for 1 cent per mile for the first several miles and then offer 20 bucks, or whatever you can, for the last mile. Gets your moneys worth.

May 1977 – It seem that the City of Anchorage is considering renovating the Basement of the Library to make room for more books, and this means that we will have to find a new meeting place. Several suggestions have been received, but we need to explore all possibilities. If you know of a hall large enough (should be able to hold 150) that would be available on a regular basis (not subject to “bumping”), please let one of the board members know as soon as possible.

June 1977

Field Day will be out of town this year, at Williwaw Lodge, on Wasilla Lake. This is the same place we held a social meeting last winter. The Lodge has promised to make food and rooms available for those who want them, but it is not mandatory that club members stay there. As usual, we will have a BBQ hamburger feed for all participants in the Field Day activity and other club members who turn up on Saturday Evening. We will be using a 15KW Diesel generator for power, and hope to have several stations on the air at one time to make a real effort to gather points this year. Operators will be needed, and some gear is still required. We would like to have two triband beams, a 40 dipole, a 40 Vertical, an 8J Vertical and a 75 inverted vee this year, with enough radios to run at least 4 positions simultaneously. Camp out area will be available, either tent type or motor home parking. Sounds like a real fun event and a chance to get outdoors for a couple of days. More at the meeting of course, so don’t miss it!

This month’s transmitter hunt will be held in the evening. With the long days of Summer, we should be able to get the hunt taken care of without any problems. I would like to encourage all of you who have not taken part in a hunt to do so, because we are getting more and more CB types on VHF with illegally operated Amateur gear. The only way to prevent a de-facto takeover of our hard kept Amateur frequencies is to be able to track down offenders and get them off the air. The more stations we have who are able to use DF equipment and who have experience in actual hunts, the better equipped we will be for the job. There is a staggering amount of illegal operation in the VHF Amateur bands in the South 48 RIGHT NOW!, and it is just a matter of time until that sort of thing spreads to Alaska. We would be well advised to be able to take care of the problem before it becomes uncontrollable.

August 1977

Several persons were able to attend the dinner meeting given for Mr. Harry Dannals, W2HD, the ARRL President, and Bob Thurston, W7PGY, the Northwestern Division Director, at the Westward-Hilton Hotel recently. Excellent speeches and a very informative question and answer session were heard. Special thanks to the people most responsible for the party, KL7CUK, KL7IVA, KL7ISB and others. If you missed this one, you goofed!

The University of Alaska Arts Fair will be coming up shortly, and the club has said they we would like to have a booth. This will give us a chance to demonstrate Ham Radio to a large section of the public, who all to often confuse Amateur radio with CB. This is an excellent opportunity to show the difference and to sign up a few interested students at the same time. Also, the club classes will be starting soon, the general class course scheduled for the 13th of September, and the Novice course slated to begin either the last week of September or the first week of October. If you know someone who might be interested in these classes, have them call the club number (344-2835 ) and leave their name and phone number. One of the instructors will call the prospective student and get them sign-up information.

As many of the members now know, the club recently acquired a number of used Teletype machines. From the number of comments received by the editor, there are a lot of guys looking for information on the machines and how to get them running. We do have a few Teletype hounds in the ranks of the club, and this would be an excellent chance to get some of the information out. If you would consider helping out at a one or two day seminar on Teletype machines and what to do to get one working, please come forth at the meeting or leave your name on the tape and we will try and get something set up.

One thing that was re-emphasized at the meeting with Harry Dannals and friends was the problem of intruders in the Ham Bands. I am not talking about BC stations who are using their shared allocations legally, but the RTTY and BC signals, and that Russion pulse signal on 20, that are in the exclusive worldwide Amateur portions of the band. If you take the time to call the monitoring station and file a formal complaint, that will help to rid the band of these signals. Take a few moments to review the allocation table and be sure the station you hear is in an exclusive worldwide AMATEUR band, then make your report. Remember, if you don’t complain, and there is no record of that complaint, the intruder is LEGALLY ALLOWED TO REMAIN WHERE HE IS!!! Interfering stations only have to move if they cause documented interference to a user in the primary service allocated to that band or frequency. Sometimes resolution takes weeks, but it won’t happen if you don’t complain about-the interference.

October 1977

A special commendation to Dick (KL7IS) and Florence (KL7DDB) Collins for their able assistance during the Sept. 24 plane crash at Lake Minchumina. Prompt action by the Collins’s and several Anchorage and Fairbanks Amateurs surely helped get help on the way in the minimum possible time. A good example of the Public Service aspect of Amateur Radio. The drama was also heard by several CB’ers gathered around a scanner-monitor at Yukon radio, and they were as a group impressed by our professionalism and expert handling of the affair. You never know who will be listening, so be sure to present our hobby in the best possible light at all times when you are on the air.


Amateur Golf Tournament


Robert Burns KL7EOK – 3/25/78 Potter Flats Hang Glider Crash

Hang-Gliding Death – ADN 3/27/78

The first man ever to hang-glide from the summit of Mt. McKinley died early Saturday Afternoon in a hang-glider accident near Potter Flats south of Anchorage.

Alaska State Troopers say that Robert P. Burns, 30, of Anchorage, was pronounced dead at Providence Hospital following the 1:30 p.m. incident. Troopers say the accident is under investigation.

Anchorage radio station KFQD, in weekend reports of the accident, quoted an “informed source” as saying that Burns was testing a newly-designed hang-glider at the time.

QST – August 1978 – Page 54

Alaska State Convention

August 26-27, 1978, Anchorage, AK

The Anchorage Amateur Radio Club will sponsor the Alaska State Convention on August 26-27 at the Anchorage Westward Hilton Hotel, in downtown Anchorage. In support of the convention and in thanks for communications support in emergencies, Governor Jay Hammond has proclaimed August 21-27 as Amateur Radio Week.

Programs will include discussions of HF propagation in northern latitudes, VHF propagation and repeaters in Alaska (including use of Mt. McKinley as a passive reflector), and microprocessors, plus film of KL7EOK’s hang glider flight from the top of Mt. McKinley and a presentation on ham support to the Yukon “800” Marathon Boat Race. An FCC “Meet the Man” is scheduled on August 26 and exams will be given to anyone who sends in a form 610 in advance and a note requesting testing at the convention.

A variety of commercial and amateur displays, a luncheon style show, an ARRL forum with Northwestern Division Director Robert B. Thurston, W7PGY and ARRL First Vice President Victor C. Clark, W4KFC, and the traditional banquet will round out the formal ham activities. Visitors to KL7 land will find great salmon fishing during the Seward Silver Salmon Derby on August 12-20, fantastic scenery in America’s last wilderness, and a chance to see the auroras that you’ve been bouncing signals from.

RV sites are available in the city. Talk-in on 34/94. For information and pre-registration, contact AARC Convention ’78, P.O. Box 1987, Anchorage, AK 99510

December 1978 – Future plans include the activation of the new repeater, which is expected to operate on 147.90 in 147.30 out from its home at Site Summit, 4,000 feet above Anchorage. The machine belongs to the Civil Defense agency but will be open for use by all amateurs except when active for ARES or RACES functions. The only items left to complete before we can actually turn it up are crystals and the final lease/permit from the Army. Unless there is a delay in paperwork, we should be up and running around the first of the year.


January –

“Protection” for FCC monitoring stations seems to be of utmost concern, That’s fine! But in Alaska, with the vast acreage under federal control, it would seem most appropriate solution would be for the FCC monitoring station to locate their station in an area which is not directly adjacent to our largest population center.

If an RF quiet environment is needed within 10 miles radius of the monitoring station, then the method of achieving this condition must certainly give cause for alarm to all radio communicator in the affected area. It has been suggested that radio amateurs whose stations are located within the “Quiet Sphere” could be the unwilling victims of power limitation. This immediately raises several Questions:

  1. Why radio amateurs?
  2. It implied that amateur radio transmitters are a serious cause of spectrum pollution?
  3. What about the RF intermodulation products produced by high powered FM, and TV transmitters whose signals mix with each other to produce resultant garbage at numerous points in the HF,VHF, and UHF spectrum?
  4. Admittedly the FCC cannot control the Pandora’s box on 11 meters, so what measures will be taken to limit (or eliminate) the uncontrolled spurious emissions from clandestine “HFers”.
  5. Is the latest dictatorial edict to be absorbed by the radio amateur community quietly? Are we going to be forced to accept re-regulation instead of de-regulation?

Now is the time for us to protest en masse. The most effective means can be by writing letters and getting the attention and support of local, state, and federal officials.

February 24, 1979 will be the start of the 1979 Iditarod Race.

The Matanuska Amateur Radio Association is sponsoring the communications this, year for the race. It will start at Anchorage , weather permitting, and will restart in Wasilla, at Lake Lucille. 2 Meter as well as HF check points will be provided along the 1,049 Mile Trail, which is now part of the National Park’s and Trail System. Anyone interested in this project, either by manning check points, flying or supplying equipment, please contact Don Bush KL7JFT at 375-5854 or Box 831, Wasilla 99687.

The next communication committee meeting will be January 12th 1979.

1979 – Nike-Hercules Missile Battalion shuts down

9 April, 1979. That day the 1/43rd stood down and ceased defensive operations and the Anchorage area had no anti-aircraft defense for the first time since World War 2 – for the first time in the state’s history.

Last Operational U.S. Nike-Hercules Missile Battalion


First life members $100.00. Life members had to be approved by general meeting and they got a certificate.
Arts Fair at Anchorage Community College – 32 hams assisting


4th anniversary of Messages for Moms – took place at Sears Mall.


December – Club License renewal

March – FCC sends VE testing responsibility to amateurs.

Walk for Critters – Start & End at SPCA – 10 mile walk.
By 1982 club was assisting with communications for:
Fur Rondy Dog Races
Walk for Hope
ACC Arts Fair
Special Olympics
Alaska Athletic Club 10k run
Amateur Golf Tournament
Walk for Critters
Hope to Homer Marathon
1982 – First scholarship to Alaska Community College & University of Alaska, Anchorage.
A later newsletter says that the money given to UAA was taken back – since they hadn’t used it.


Vehicle bays and Main office building built

1984 , April 17

First Volunteer VE exam in the nation – given by Wilse Morgan, KL7CQ, and team.


First Gold Nugget Triathlon
Expected 300 participants (in 2015 there were over 1500 participants)
First Mayor’s Marathon
Lil Marvin, KL7YF, was lauded for her management of the Flea Market.


There were 144 Life Members.
There are NO newsletters from 1987 and 1988.


Used Hope Cottage for Board Meeting.
Membership went up to $20.00.
A repeater was sent to the USSR.
$25,000.00 donation to Alaska Pacific University.


“No code” license approved – February 14th


Worked Nordic Ski Club competition.
Became part of Boniface bingo
Started highway cleanup project at Potter Marsh. This went on for at least 5 years.
Meetings moved to APU – both general and board.
Bought a brick with AARC name for Town Square. Does anyone know where it is?


Apparently, 2nd published newsletter was February 1972.
403 members.
Started a By-laws revision.


Put a repeater at Alyeska.
Set-up Radio at Senior Center – for use by any licensed Ham.


First year for Dog Jog.
No more Iditarod participation.

1996, February 9

In the Federal Communications Record (FCC-95-423A1)

  1. The Commission has identified several initiatives which will permit more effective use of resources. The Commission will automate the high frequency direction finding network by installing new technology which can be remotely-controlled from a single office. The Commission will also establish a complaint and inquiry intake center, with a toll-free (800 or 888) number to centralize and make more efficient agency provision of information and processing of complaints. The Commission will close its offices in Buffalo, New York; Miami, Florida: St. Paul. Minnesota; Norfolk, Virginia; Portland. Oregon: Houston, Texas· San Juan, Puerto Rico; Anchorage, Alaska; and Honolulu, Hawaii. Two technical staff will be retained in each of these cities as resident enforcement agents. The remaining offices will fully staffed and equipped to maintain the Commission’s Enforcement program.

2003, September 24

(FCC DA 03-2899)  This Order adds the geographical coordinates of the Commission’s new Kenai, Alaska monitoring facility to the list of protected field installations. These locations are protected from harmful radio frequency
interference to the Commission’s monitoring activities that could be produced by the proximity of any
nearby radio transmitting facilities.


Communications Command Vehicle (CCV) – April 28, 2004

ARES supports BP Earthquake Expo

AARC Board Meeting May 18, 2004 – Club House/Garage
Richard Block submitted a written report. In it he stated that he had met with the property owner and agreed to lease conditions. He expected the written document to arrive this week and that the least would commence June 1, 2004.

AARC August 2004 Newsletter

At the NCVEC / FCC Conference held in July, 2002, agreement was reached whereby a limited test of an
internet based system would be authorized. After a development period of almost 2 years, the system is ready for it’s first “real” exams.

On July 17, 2004, a successful exam session was achieved, with the candidate located in Wasilla, and the VE team in Anchorage, a physical distance of about 30 miles from one another. For this first test, we actually had 2 complete teams of 3 VEs at each end, just to make sure that the candidate would not be short changed in the event of system malfunction. The results were all we could have wished – the candidate successfully passed his exam and we have a brand new tech licensee in our ranks.

Friends of Pets Dog Jog – 2004
This is the seventh year amateur radio operators have
supported the Friends of Pets Dog Jog and this was the best
turnout ever!

AARC October 2004 Newsletter

Connex Cleanup
Jim Larsen is seeking volunteers to assist in the cleanup of the Club connex located at the Airport Heights Fire Station. The project is tentatively scheduled for a weekend day.

The Anchorage Amateur Radio Club announces that the all new Mount Susitna Repeater is up and operating.

2004, September 13

(FCC DA 04-2923)  This Order deletes the geographical coordinates of the Commission’s Anchorage, Alaska monitoring facility from the list of protected field installations.

This order officially acknowledges that the monitoring facility in Anchorage is closed, and has been replaced by the remotely operated facility in Kenai.

November Sweepstakes 2004


2013, April

There was an article in the Federal Register 2013-08242  

Federal Property Suitable as Facilities To Assist the Homeless

Landholding Agency: GSA
Property Number: 54201310010
Status: Surplus

Directions: 131.02 acres w/3 buildings
Comments: main bldg. = 2,554 sf.; monitoring bldg. = 2,400 sf.; garage= 1,900 sf.; portion
of property located w/in airport noise zones that are not compatible w/residential or school uses (14 CFR Part 150)

2014, June

2104 Field Day at Kincaid Park

2014, July

Alaska Remote Testing Program officially recognized and approved
by the FCC by New Rules Change – AARC Newsletter July 2014

2014, August

The trailer made it to Anchorage and was moved to the Hamshack site on September 4th.

2015, April

The club has taken delivery of a new Communications Response Vehicle (CRV). It is a 2001 Ford E350, extended-body van with the Quigley 4WD package and the Ford Ambulance package. This is a 1-ton, single-rear-wheel vehicle with the Ford Power Stroke© 7.3L Turbocharged Diesel engine. The ambulance has about 87,000 miles on it, with most of the miles from driving on the North Slope.

We found another battery under the vehicle. We are checking the wiring system. New Name – Mobile Telecommunications Vehicle (MTV). Working on tow package.

2015, May

2015, August


We expect to be supporting the following:

  • Walk for Hope – May 7
  • Gold Nugget Triathlon – May 15
  • MS150 – May 21
  • Run for Women – Jun 11
  • Tour de Cure Bike Ride – Jun 12
  • Dog Jog – July 16
  • Big Wild Life Marathon – Aug 21
  • MS Walk around Lake Hood – Aug 27

2016, May

The Elmendorf array was decommissioned in May 2016 due to its age and unavailable repair parts.

There is a YouTube video called: The Last Elephant Cage, Created by the National Security Agency (NSA) Sep 22, 2020

The Last Elephant Cage documents the history of the FLR-9 antenna located in Anchorage, Alaska and its 50 years of service to the NSA mission.

2018, January

AARC Moves into old FCC facility

2020, May 06

The FCC Monitoring Facility was closed own in 2004. Even though the building is located on the Ted Stevens International Airport property, no one at the FCC told the FAA that they closed down. 16 years later, on the Anchorage Sectional chart, the only building specifically highlighted on the chart was the FCC Monitoring Facility! We submitted a change to the FCC, and within 3 days they agreed to update the charts.

(How to disappear from an FAA map)